Each Cornbread Supper has its own firsts and distinctions. Tonight before Supper began, we found in the front door a gift of homemade flan -- that face-in-the-moon, above, is luscious caramel yummy goodness -- with a container of homemade whipped cream alongside. As if the universe or a kind anonymous friend had listened in to Rona talking over the weekend about flan being her favorite dessert -- and then delivered one in a pretty blue Pyrex pie plate that twins Rona's own. So - we had a mystery donor contributing to a bountiful dessert table, rich with tiny chocolate-frosted, cream-filled eclairs, and Pumpkin-Chocolate-Cranberry-Pecan-Pumpkin Seed COOKIES with Cinnamon frosting, below.
On the coldest night for Cornbread Suppers so far this year -- temps around 20 degrees F., ice and snow crunching on Campsie and beyond -- people brought beautiful hearty stews, soups, and chili.
- Curried Carrot Soup w/Potatoes, dill, etc. Chicken broth
- Potato Soup
- Chicken Cacciatore Stew: 3 Cheese Ravioli, Chicken/Broth, Tomatoes, Chard: Yumminess
And chili that was too busy getting all heated up to bother being photographed.
Other wonderful tastes of this evening:
- Quinoa Salad (cilantro, jalapeño, black bean...)
- Roasted local beets, turnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, onions, garlic, rosemary. Oliva Bella oil, salt, pepper
- Chleb: Czech Peasant Bread
- Onion-Cornbread Bread Pudding; has Kentucky beef, bacon, eggs, milk, cornbread, cheese, and more; not vegetarian, no gluten
- Plain Kentucky black skillet cornbread
- Cranberry Apple Pecan Oatmeal Casserole