What kind of event are Cornbread Suppers?
They are weeknight, comfortable, convivial, slow, dress-down affairs. They happen every Monday night, holidays included, at 6 PM, at 250 Campsie Place, Lexington, Kentucky. You are invited, and all are welcome. No RSVP is ever needed.
If you drive to Supper, please give our neighbors a break and follow these parking instructions.
And now, more about the hows and whys of Cornbread Supper. (And please know that new people come every week, so if you haven't been before, you won't be coming to a place where all the same people come all the time.)
- Regular, repeating - We want Cornbread Supper on Mondays at 6 to become a standing option for you, so we host Supper weekly with any number of participants.
- Optional potluck: It's a potluck IF you have time to bring something. If you don't have time, you can count on us each week to serve a hearty dish of cornbread/grits/spoonbread/hush puppies/tamales/corn-on-the-cob -- simple corn-based nourishment that will get you through. So if you want to come, please come with or without food contributions.
- Child friendly: Children are most certainly invited and wanted.
- Open door/Big Table: Invite and bring other people. (Starting with your loved ones for whom we don't have email addresses; all are welcome.)
- Drinks: We'll have water, of course, and occasionally may also add in wine or other good things that come our way. Feel free to bring drinks you like or would like to share.
- Dress code - sure - wear something. Whatever you are wearing will suffice.
- Food code - Cornbread Supperians enjoy simple, good, share-able food. Of course we applaud local, seasonal, homegrown -- so good for us and our community -- but all contributions are welcome. We make sure some of the Basic Corn Feature each week is vegetarian (ovo-lacto, probably not vegan). Meat dishes and those who eat them (as we do) are welcome, of course. See "What Should I Bring" if you want a little more guidance.
- Co-hosts welcome - If you think you might like to be part of a co-host group for the suppers, let Steve or Rona know. It is great when people pitch in, and there may be times when the suppers could move around to other houses.